I was riding at the back of my guy friend’s motorcycle from a birthday party – I was 18 – when this friend of mine decided to bring up again the topic of “qualifications of a spouse.” We had a ‘Dating, Courtship, Marriage Seminar’ at church the week before. I told him, “If he’s not like Jesus Christ, I won’t go for him.”
He’s very persistent to the point of being insensitive as all teenagers sometimes are, (or is it, ‘as all men are?’) even if after the seminar I already told him I don’t want to talk about it anymore, he still gave his rebuttal, “Angel, there is no one like Jesus. He’s unique. He’s one of a kind. You won’t find anyone like him. (As if to say, Jesus was never human.) To which I replied, “Then I shall never marry. Good night! Thanks for bringing me home.”
While the endless talk about marriage really annoys me, I confess, I’m a romantic. Since everybody seems so concerned about ‘having a spouse’ then (I was 18) until now, I’ve decided to put up my list. I’m romantic and I’m kind too, I think. I’d like to put this up so other men can realise they don’t stand a chance & hopefully, help them to be better. That’s a snarky comment again, isn’t it? Or is it just a really bad one? Oh dear…
Here’s my list:
1. Satisfied In Christ. Someone who doesn’t feel the need to get married but knows how to love people and understands a person’s need for community especially spiritual family. Someone who loves Jesus more than anyone or anything else in the world.
2. Deeply Rooted In God’s Words. I need someone who share the same love, delight for God’s words. Someone who can call me out when I’m going the wrong way, saying or doing things the wrong way. Someone who knows how to correct me the right way. Someone who knows what the ‘right way’ actually is without me lecturing him about it.
3. Not horribly, horribly irritable. We all have something we get annoyed with. I need someone who knows himself enough to know what irritates him, and how to humbly deal with it.
4. Will not win me over with his declarations or actions of love but with his obedience to Christ. This is something too rare and truly incredibly hard to find. It’s never easy to obey God but I need someone who knows how to do it in both the little things and the bigger ways.
5. Has a really, really sexy facial hair. I know this last one has nothing to do with romance but this is my blog, you’re just gonna have to read that part. You have no choice in the matter. 😂 I meant, someone who appreciates how I appreciate him. And knows how to communicate his appreciation even in the littlest of ways.
That’s my kind of romantic. What’s yours?